Domestic Violence Protection Orders

Family Violence Orders

Family Violence Orders (also known as Protection Orders) are made upon application to the Magistrates Court by a person affected by Family Violence. They are designed to protect people who are in a ‘relevant’ relationship with an alleged abuser.

Domestic violence is defined under the Domestic Violence and Family Violence Act 2012 as when someone is:

  • Physically or sexually abusive;
  • Emotionally or psychologically abusive;
  • Financially or economically abusive;
  • Threatening;
  • Coercive; and/or
  • Controlling or dominating

To be able to apply for a DVO you must satisfy a court that you are in a ‘relevant’ relationship with the abuser. A relevant relationship is defined as an intimate personal relationship (such as de facto, spouse, engaged or married), a family relationship (such as those who are related by blood or marriage) or an informal care relationship (such as when one person is dependent on the other person to look after them)  

If your matter is urgent and you believe you need immediate protection please call our office immediately.